Saturday, October 8, 2011

Here's another App that is better but not great

Bookmark and Share

As you know, I write a lot. I mean, a lot. I have many blogs all with very specific topic focuses. This one is about Social Networking strategies to promote my book (which is doing very well). And it also looks at software scams (andf other scams like that Flex Seal garbage that they sell on those very effective infomericlas). It also looks at iPad and Android Apps that you should try or, more likely, stay away from.

As a writer, I am always looking for a good iPad App for writing.

I've found a couple of good ones, but like all programs designed by computer tech nerds, they always come up a little short. That's because -- here I am on my soap box -- computer nerds know how to program. But they don't know the realities of the services their programs are trying to address. They have no commonsense and they lack the experience of being a real end-user. So their programs do great things that oftentimes are not worth doing.

However, that said, I like iAWriter, which is an App that allows you to write on your iPad efficiently and with a keyboard that has more options. The iPad keyboard is very limiting and cumbersome. It's not very useful at all unless all you do is type letters without any meaning, of course. These Apps don't come with many instructions but you can figure most of them out, if the programmer is halfway human, that is. It's made by Information Architects Inc. I had to pay for it but I don't recall the price -- since once it is downloaded they quickly eliminate that information.) But it is the BEST that is out there. And I have tried and deleted many.

Another App that comes close to being great is called Blogger + or BloggerPlus!. The developer is very concerned about the users which is a good thing and he has his web site there and he WANTS you to contact him for ideas to make it better. That's a good thing and says that the programmer who designed the App does care about the enduser and not just the moolah.

The web site for Blogger+ is http://bloggerplus.xmpp.kr.

The App allows you to manage your blogs and to actually post on the ones that Apple and Steve Jobs vengefully tried to keep out of their system. (Jobs didn't like Flash so he made sure it would not work on his products. Selfish ass! May he rest in peace, though.) And Blogger.com doesn't work on any of the web explorers that iPad allows you to use. (You can't use Google Chrome which is the best, just the Steve Jobs products. Crap!!!)

But BloggerPlus! allows you to manage your Blogger.com blogs and all your other blogs from other systems including WordPress. You can use Drupal (never heard of it but I might if BloggerPlus! thinks it is worth listing. And Tumblr.com and Tistory.com and Naver.com and Egloos.com and Joomla and BloggerPlus!'s own default type blog.

The only draw back if you have many blogs at one of those (I have about 15 or so -- but who's counting when you write like a banshee?) You can't just link them all automatically. So I have to link them to BloggerPlus! one at a time repeating the same process of username and password for each one (Blogger.com uses one system for each blog so it is repetitive.)

The other draw back, though it is minor, is that it doesn't add the posting scripts that you can embed in Blogger. I have a Share button at the top of each posting that is automatically embedded in my blogs and also on some my PodoMatic Podcasting script (which is very cool -- someone knew how to really design for the user with that one.)

I definitely recommend buying BloggerPlus! for iPad and iPad2 (I have both, though I let my son use and abuse the iPad while I am working with the new one.)

Again, I recommend not getting fixContacts, the App that alleges it will help you manage your contacts but is a bug waiting to happen, sadly. And that costs like $7.95. What a waste. But better I waste the money than you, my contribution to the betterment of our society.

-- Ray Hanania
http://RayHanania.wordpress.com


No comments:

Post a Comment